14 October, 2007

Layers

Hello Kitty can be quite adorable....especially when it comes in the form of a pink tres leches [to be exact] birthday cake smeared all over the face of a three year old. Madeleine, my niece, celebrated her third birthday today. The weather was nice. Warm sun & cool breezes. A party in the park is always nice. The pinata could be destroyed outdoors without candy flying and hitting something fragile [although, a few babies were present..!]. And yes, I even ran out to get some candy...there were so many pieces of chocolate being left behind! Soon thereafter, the birthday girl ended her own party with a temper tantrum. And here I though she had left her 'terrible 2's' behind...

Alright, let's back up a few days. Thursday evening the [new] Mesa Contemporary Arts Center [which is just outrageous!] hosted the event, 'Sound in the Ground'. Truth behold, the live music was literally held 'in the ground'. The small courtyard-esque/amphitheater projected the sound of the D.J. [who was AMAZING] and the band beautifully. The stars, waterfall, throw pillows, and free cream puffs [mmm..] definitely added some pizazz. The interior of the arts center could be seen from the amphitheater through panels of glass which grew from the ground to the tip top of the two story building. This sleek structure projected a peculiar glow outdoors onto some modern, and almost space age like, sculptures. Huge opaque panels formed several cubes which changed colors and iridescent tiles covering massive walls are just a few of the innovative designs within the center. Several artists were showing their work in the galleries indoors. One of which displayed the first ever 3D 'painting'. From what I remember reading, layers of ultra sensitive and extremely thin photo paper, along with very specific colors, were used to create this dimensional look. O.K. sounds cool, right? Well this artist [I forget his name....which I am now kicking myself for] which is known for his strange and humorous works of art, decided to make this innovative 3D painting an image of a cow with huge utters and with a cartoon like quality. !??!?!. ugh. And the stupid thing exceeded 23 million dollars to create! Anyway, the other galleries were....wait, let me stop here, I could go on and on and on and on about what I saw and what I think.

FRIDAY. If one word were to be chosen to describe Friday evening, I'd choose beautifulmesmerizingcollaborativemasterpiece. Do I have any Devendra Banhart fans out there in this cyberspace blogspace?? Anyone? Oh goodness, I reeeeeally hope so [if not, hurry, VERY QUICKLY, and visit this site: http://www.myspace.com/devendrabanhart]. Actually, I am still recovering from my experience. I am not too sure if I can continue 'blogging' on about it. But I will. Devendra projects his music in the most organic and insanely creative way. You really need to be familiar with his musical process and his background before jumping into such a performance! I was in a trace for the two hours he, and his band, were performing. Banhart's band consisted of even more inspirational musicians. All these artists seem to be intertwined within this huge breeding network of unearthly talented folks. Gosh, what a night. I wanted to speak with Noah, a touring member of the band, afterward about his solo work [Apparently, so did everyone else in the venue!]. He has the most handsome music. Ah well. It was best I headed straight home anyway to reflect on such a magnificent night.

I am now back to the Hello Kitty cake in the face birthday bash.
I would reflect on last weekend and my time spent in Old Town Bisbee at the organic fiber arts festival, as well as my trip down into Mexico, But I wouldn't want to jinx these great weekends I've been having.....

XO

happy birthday, miss madeleine.


good ol'Bisbee




agua prieta, mexico

6 comments:

dotgraham said...

dear Michelle.
I really love reading your blog. I love the imagery that you project through words. It is honestly one of the most beautiful things that can come to mind. The way are articulate events to become the most pleasant pieces of literature is phenomenal. I will continue to read. Also, I feel you on the whole Banhart thing. When I saw him at the brick house a year or so ago, it was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. He really makes his creativity explode and bring a crowd into the most intimate moments. I thought I would express my gratitude for your writings.

lets chill soon, call me tomorrow.
k.graham

michelle said...

gee, thanks. i don't try to make it sound all that great...my mind and typing fingers work together in their own special way. i wonder what would become of my writing if i actually put in effort....

thanks kyle for the comment, i appreciate the kind words.

bryant said...

any pics from your trip to Bisbee? I just love that place. Brandon and I spent a couple days there a year ago or so...

michelle said...

bryant, i will certainly post a few photos.
bisbee is just wonderful, isn't it?!

dotgraham said...

Not a problem friend.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.